Tuesday, January 5, 2010

I love Marge!

One of my neighbors is a retired woman who used to work with my dad and mother way back in the 70's. Marge is a wonderful woman, and we talk for a while almost each time we meet. During one of these talks, I mentioned my journey into screenwriting. There is always that hesitation before I can tell anyone. Some people react like I just mentioned sodomizing goats. Marge and a few others actually are interested.

Marge is actually interesting and has the intellect to follow a conversation. One of my scripts is about a Potawatomi Chief named White Pigeon (google it for more). Marge and I talked about how I came up with that as a concept and about the script. At that time, my most recent script wasn't finished, and I felt that talking about it might jinx me.

Then around Thanksgiving I ran into her again and told her about my most recent script. She wanted to read it. I'm always flattered when anyone shows an interest in reading one of my scripts. It's the litmus test that Blake Snyder talked about when pitching the logline to random people. The desire to read the script is about as well as it can go.

It took me a while to get the thing printed. The delay was for a couple reasons that centered on a low ink supply and other priorities for the printer. A few days ago while walking the dogs, Marge stopped her car to talk to me. It was probably about 5 degrees, and I knew what she wanted - the script. We talked for a bit, and I promised to get her my most recent script and the Chief White Pigeon script.

So yesterday I printed them off, punched the holes in almost 200 pages and 4 pages of card stock, then bound them with brass fasteners. I even pasted a copy of a photo of Chief White Pigeon's monument to the front of that script. Some of you may think it goofy to go to all that effort just for a neighbor. I could probably have just emailed her pdf files. But she got two bound scripts almost as nice as I'd sent to Hollywood.

Marge wasn't home when I dropped the scripts on her porch in a plastic bag. I'm sure hoping she enjoys reading either one. Both the scripts have gone to Hollywood already, so I'm really not concerned with feedback from Marge. I'm just grateful to have met someone interested in someone striving to create. It really means a lot to me for someone to show more than passing interest. Thank you, Marge, from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment