Saturday, April 17, 2010

There's a backward ME in TEAM

I've never been much of a team player. There's always somebody out there to repeat the same old crap about there not being an "I" in TEAM. My response is usually that there's a backwards ME in there though. A real team player will point out that there's an "A" there to screw up the backwards ME. Yeah, we all know what "A" stands for and it rhymes with sasshole.

Seems like some aspiring and (supposedly) working screenwriters have an urge to look at writing a screenplay as a team effort. Some of these people even have the audacity to utilize the internet and online communities to write their screenplays. Others are gathering in classes and groups all over the country in the desire to assemble thousands of words into a screenplay of surpassing quality.

Some of these aspiring screenwriters are going to get some really shitty, jealous and uselessly nonconstructive criticism in these groups. They might even have to put up with some dumbass like me who absolutely wastes their time 75% of the time with worthless crap. That waste of time might even extend to worthless blog posts about issues irrelevant to screenwriting that are an absolute waste of time. You folks on internet communities might even just waste so much fucking time that you'll get personally involved in the lives of other screenwriters in your little community. These people are just a waste of time. You'll never meet most of them, so give up on all this community stuff and team player shit.

I've got this damned genetic propensity to rebel with about 75% of my white trash genetics. The other 25% is what keeps pulling me into the time wasting internet community known as Triggerstreet. That's right, 25% of my blood teems with Mennonite/Amish genetics. For all my white trash efforts to be a rebellious little bastard, that damned 25% keeps pulling me back to trying to emulate community stuff like barn raisings and other Mennonite/Amish endeavors.

That 25% genetic curse seems to have pulled me into that community over at Triggerstreet for almost four years. I've wasted a shitload of time over there trying to become a real, consistent, steadily-employed professional screenwriter. I've also wasted my time reading a couple hundred amateur screenplays and have only found a couple that deserve to make it to film. Some of these people are really unappreciative and don't deserve my time on their poorly crafted screenplays. The quantity of time I've wasted on the message boards chatting about crap has been a four year drain on my available time resources. Four years of wasted time.

I'll never get all any of that wasted time back and wouldn't have it any other way. That's right, even my 75% white trash genetics and mentality has begun to appreciate the Triggerstreet community. Wasted time, my ass. There are real people there going through just what I am on a daily basis. We're trying to do something great, the greatness of creating something of surpassing quality. It's tough to try. We get depressed. We get enthused by small successes. We have all of life's little problems that get in the way of creating anything remotely close to a screenplay of surpassing quality. Hell, one of those time wasters over at Triggerstreet squeezed out a little baby girl a few weeks ago and brought a tear to my cynical eye in the depth of the night. Fuck, what a waste of time!

75% of my genetics is that white trash, loner, rebel, tough guy. My dad used to say that I thought I was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. But that was after I choked some douchebag while biting him in the face, and made the douchebag emit a strange gurgling scream noise. Don't worry about any supposed psycho label from that little incident, cuz the guy had it coming plus a bit more than what he received. So it seems that those four years have left me as an unaccomplished internet tough guy who gets all misty-eyed every time some Triggerstreet wench births another future aspiring screenwriter.

If the day comes that I become a professional screenwriter or even that I lose some of the few writing skills and screenwriting knowledge I've attained, I'll be around over at Triggerstreet wasting my precious time. I'll be right over there at Triggerstreet, as long as they'll have me.

. .

No comments:

Post a Comment